It's that time again...
The eagerly anticipated Banchory Tennis Club Championships.
The Championships run from Friday August 23th to Finals Weekend on August 31st and September 1st. This is a very sociable tournament and it would be great to get as many folk as possible taking part. The competition is designed to accommodate for all standards. The singles events also have a plate competition, so all is not lost if you lose in the first round!
The format will be the same as last years, and we are still trying to encourage as many members as possible to take part.
- While it is of course purely for fun we would like to see more team players entering and have therefore introduced a slightly more competitive edge to the mens and ladies doubles by allowing people to select their partner if they wish. Aspiring team players should note that the results will be taken into account when we are considering the League nominations in 2019.
- We also want to see people at all levels willing to have a go. Therefore in the mens and ladies singles and doubles we will endeavour to rank entries to ensure that at least in the first round everybody will have a fighting chance of getting through to the next round. Obviously this will be a lot easier to do if we get lots of entries form people of all levels, so go on, have a go.
- The Mixed Doubles will be set up as we always have, with people simply entering their name and the draws then being taken from pools of different levels so that pairings are complementary and balanced. To make it even more fun, is that we will operate a simple handicap system so that every pair has a real chance of working their way to the final,
- Finally, note that we have found that the shorter the period over which the Championships are held, the easier they are to organise. We also hope that it should be easier for players to reserve the time, especially as we have brought the timing forward to immediately after the summer holidays when we imagine the majority of people are around.
Please help us make this years Championships the most successful in recent times by joining in, regardless of your playing level, and ensuring your availability,
The events are:
- Gentlemen’s Singles
- Ladies’ Singles
- Gentlemen’s Doubles (specyfying a partner - or enter without a partner and one will be assigned)
- Ladies’ Doubles (specyfying a partner - or enter without a partner and one will be assigned)
- Mixed Doubles (partner will be assigned)
- Gentlemen's plate
- Ladies Plate
The schedule enables you to take part in all possible events.
You may enter the Ladies and Gentlemen doubles with a named partner. If you do not have a partner, you can still enter, and a partner will be assigned (you will be paired up from the pool of players who have entered without a named partner).
During the championship period please could we ask participants to aim to be available for play at weekends from 09.00 until late, and other evenings from 6pm to ensure smooth running.
Because of the short time-frame, we cannot guarantee if an allocated match can be rescheduled and you will risk throwing the match.
The schedule for all matches (Date, Time, Court, Players) will be published on our website and on the clubhouse noticeboard.
Depending on uptake and weather we intend to work through the main rounds over the weekend of Friday 23th August to Sunday 25th August.
This may be an intensive schedule from 18.00 on Friday and 09.00 Saturday and Sunday until 22.00 each day
You will also be advised of your next matches by email or SMS text. If in any doubt, please phone Pawel.
Closing date for entry is 12.00 Midday Friday August 16th. The draws will be announced by Tuesday August 20th
For further details and to enter online, follow this link (logon required).
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and enter ener your listed name.
Note for your diaries: We will be holding a Prize Giving event on Saturday 7th September - This will be a dinner and presentation evening at The Cowshed (click for details). Tickets now available from Denise
The Rules for the Championships are as follows:
- All entrants must be fully paid-up members
- All entrants must be available on the weekend of August 23/24/25
- All entrants must be available for Finals Weekend Aug/Sept 31st/1st and understand that if not available they will forfeit the opportunity to play in the final.